Monday, June 25, 2012

Mango Cake

In the Philippines, where I live,  sweet and juicy mangoes are abundant almost all year round. I feel  very lucky that I can buy mangoes from the grocery any time I crave for the taste of it.

Last week I got to browse through my old cookbook and found a recipe for Mango Cake. Honestly, this is the first time for me to try it out and I did! And I'm so glad with the result.  





Here's the recipe: 


Ingredients 

  • 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour 
  • 1 tsp. baking powder 
  • 3/4 cup sugar 
  • 1/2 cup butter  
  • 2 eggs 
  • 1/4 cup milk (I used fresh milk)
  • 3/4 cup ripe mango puree 
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice 
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt 
Procedure 

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 
  2. Beat butter then add the sugar little by little until sugar is dissolved.  
  3. Continue beating and add eggs one at a time. Set aside. 
  4. In a separate bowl, combine well all dry ingredients using a spatula or whisk. 
  5. Make a well on the center and pour in the butter mixture. Mix or beat until well combined. 
  6. Now add the mango puree and milk. Mix well, be careful not to over beat. This should take just one minute. 
  7. You can use muffin pans or two 8" rounded pans or square pans. 
  8. Bake for 20-25 minutes.  Let the cake cool down to room temperature before frosting. 
The mango buttercream frosting I used for this cake will be up soon on a separate post.  


This recipe is meant to yield cupcakes or  loaf type cake. For experimental purposes, I baked the batter in 2 8"square pans and made some buttercream  icing to cover the cake. 


A better idea popped out at the last minute and decided to cut the cake into four and make mini 2-layered cakes instead.  Too bad I wasn't able to take pictures of the complete cake as they were gone even before I could get my camera. I promise to make another batch soon and will definitely reserve one for picture taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment